Saturday, April 25, 2009

*** Ok...What ever hapened to your life purpose?

Now, I know that I may be in the minority that tries to establish revolutionary thoughts, ideas, and questions. But think about it. We begin our higher education (mostly) as an almost involuntary step that seems to be taken all too soon. So much money is spent, and even wasted, on an education that does not interest, help, or forward young minds into the world. How can you ask me what I want to major in at 18? People that are only entirely sure should be the ones that actually go ahead and begin school at 18.

Now, this is an opinion that I have had for a long time. But, still, I sit and slave away at my tasks, working to get this degree before I turn 22 like it's some kind of made-up marathon. Recently, though, I gave myself some time. A little bit of time to breathe, think, realize, understand, know, and see the path of my life that I have been steered off of, and must return to. And, if I didn't give myself that time, I would have still been living on a path that was killing me inside, for the purpose of appeasing those I had been taught I needed to; parents, teachers, the working force, the government, etc etc etc...

Now, this is a very prominent characteristic in my personality as well: I want to make people happy. So these issues were plaguing a very specific me, and I'm not going to force the idea that it applies to everybody.
But how many college students are graduating, and certain, like 100%, that they know what they are going to do when they get out? That they are TOTALLY and COMPLETELY SURE that they know EXACTLY what they are meant to do in this world, what their purpose is, and how they can be the absolute best at what they can be.

Not a lot.

And, you know. That's fine. Those are huge expectations to have on a young person at this point in their life. But, don't you think that we should be given more time to establish who we are? And, yes, I'm going to throw my point in now. Don't you think we should be given more time instead of being pumped with stimulants, ADD and ADHD suppressing drugs, and have to listen to what we have to do to be "good enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment